Art In Public Space Bautzen
Cities are special habitats, urban centers of a region that combine a number of functions of private and public life. The role of art is to reflect these functions of a city and of life itself. Public Art is alive in Bautzen. The following list shows works of art as they are presented to the public in Bautzen. They help to bring a greater awareness of art to a wider public.
This exhibition of public art is, in several ways, just a beginning. The City needs more public art, and at the same time, it needs the active engagement of both visitors, and inhabitants of Bautzen. If you know of any additional information about the background to the listed works, please do not hesitate to contact us. If you are aware of other public works of art in Bautzen that are missing from this list, please contact the City of Bautzen Culture Office.
The glass fronted facade of the Burgtheater/Dźiwadło in the courtyard of the Ortenburg is the new, permanent home for the figures of the Rietschel Gable. This sculptural group, the “allegory of tragedy”, has previously adorned the Dresden Court Theater, built by Gottfried Semper in 1841, and then later, the building of the Bautzen City Theater, which was used until 1969. Its long odyssey ended in the Ortenburg court in 2001. The figures of the Rietschel Gable show the most important scenes of the 2nd and 3rd part of the “Orestie” triology, composed of the tragedies “Agamemnon”, “Choephoroi” and “Eumenides”, completed in 458 BC by Aischylos (525-456 BC).
Extensive ensemble with standing sculptures and reliefs
Among others of St. George Slaying the Dragon, Gulliver’s Travels, Hans im Glück, The Little Shepherd’s Happy Dream, Hansel and Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, Münchhausen on the Cannonball, Puss in Boots, The Hedgehog And The Hare, The Frog King, The Brave Little Tailor, Eulenspiegel, 4 Groups of Children Playing, several funny animals and children’s forms
Artist: Georg Türke (1884–1972)
Year: 1912 completed
Location: Schiller-Gymnasium / Philipp-Melanchthon-Gymnasium, Tzschirnerstraße 1 (former Pestalozzischule)
Owner: Stadt Bautzen